And finally, an update on Joshua Hetherington:
We got the news Friday morning that pathology was not going to be in our favor – not benign, but malignant. To be exact glioblastoma multiforme or GBM for short – a tumor type that is uncommon in children and teens; usually affecting adults over 35.
Those of you who have run in to this beast already will know this is an aggressive level 4 cancer. Not at all the news we’d been hoping for.
Friday was the neuro-surgeon, then straight across to a neuro-oncologist… To be referred to a second pediatric neuro-oncologist group as the first group didn’t have a radiologist working with under 18’s.
That secondary visit was this afternoon (it was a very long weekend of waiting…) at Children’s Hospital Colorado, and gave us a little more relevant information for pediatric GBM vs adult GBM.
So now the plan is to hit this thing with all we can: 5-6 weeks of a combo of radiation /chemo combined with a new drug (cetuximab) that will be infused once a week. Then once the radiation/chemo combo is done, the infusion continues once a week and chemo five days a month for a year.
Lots of consultations, some small surgeries, scans, radiation mask construction to happen asap and fill the 2-3 week wait until radiation treatment starts… Unfortunately for just when school starts too.
So lots of decisions to make about lots of things this week.
Thank you to everyone who has reached out and offered help, we are very grateful and will definitely be taking you up on those offers as we get in to all this. We just need to figure out how it’s all going to play out.
We’ll keep you updated as we go along.